Friday, October 29, 2010

Dream Weaver --Week 4 Review The Templates Issue

Howdy

I hope you aren't having as many Dreamweaver CS5 problems as I am.

It's probably my installation of Dreamweaver CS5 on my Snow Leopard Mac...

Turns out I can make the template pages in Dreamweaver CS4, in CS5 there are issues; basically the templates do NOT behave the same as in CS4 as in CS5

You can help me sort this out... If the templates work in YOUR version of Dreamweaver CS5, then I need to figure out what is going on with my computer. Otherwise it's Adobe's fault.

I put all the Template files in a folder and Zipped them. You can make that folder a "site" or just copy the unzipped folder and its content into your site folder.

You can down load the files by clicking this link. Download Template Files

There's another "link" behaviour for you... generally a browser will down load a file if it has the extension .zip or .pdf rather than try to display it... With older browsers you have to right click the link...

One thing I forgot to tell you about was that before you can make an editable region on a template page you need to put all the CSS into an external text file with the extension .css

It's not hard to do...
Copy the css statements between

<style type="text/css"> and </style>

into a blank page and save the file as a text file with the extension .css

You need to delete the style statements then add a link command that tells the browser where you put the .css file

<link href="styles/classpages.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Just look at the files in the zipped folder...
You can read about Basic CSS from the Classes main page under the CSS tab.


This takes you to page 1 of Making Templates...

How to make an editable region is here

And how to make repeatable regions is here
I'm looking forward to hearing about YOUR successes with Templates!

Have a great week end

No comments:

Post a Comment